Friday 3 September 2010

Training Phase I (Weeks 1 - 5), Training Phase II (Weeks 6 - 8)

TRAINING PHASE I

What do you do to train for 21 days of continuous walking every day, between 15 and 22 miles, carrying upwards of 40lbs with a total of 1 rest day every 7 or 8 days.

Research on the web suggested a 16 week training programme which is a little difficult to complete with only 8 weeks to start date.

Fortunately there is some level of base fitness from my peak bagging adventures but this has its limits clearly demonstrated by my back problems earlier in the year.

With no real experience of training for an endurance event I consulted Matt Brennan of Grange Fitness.

He suggested a personal training programme of 3 days gym work to compliment 3 days of walking. Concentrating on leg strengthening work and upper body conditioning along with consideration being given to lower back to account for earlier back injury and need to carry heavy backpack for consecutive  days. The walking started off gradually with twice daily short walks to get in the miles, with increasing back pack weights to carry required weight.

Week one included walking 12 miles on one day with 15lbs increasing in week four to 15 miles a day with 35lbs.

Week 5 was a test walk along the Sandlings Walk from Rushmere Common near Ipswich to Walberswick. A total of 55 miles carrying 40lbs over 3 days. An average of over 18 miles per day.

Abley accompanied by my mate Clive, sleeping in my lightweight tent, which was carried and cooking food on camping stove gave me the confidence that I can walk these distances for at least 4 continuous days. It also gave Clive horrendous blisters that took him off his feet for 1 week.

With 3 weeks left I am working to increase weights and daily miles above the 40lb and 20 miles to give me some factor of safety as well as 1 week peak-bagging in the Lake District, including Helvellyn via Striding Edge, with Dave Boother to see how I get on in hilly terrain with my new found fitness.

I have walked miles in Suffolk but have still not found any mountains!



TRAINING PHASE II

After being slightly ahead of schedule in Phase I, Phase II seems to have gone completely off schedule.

The first week only included 2 walks, one of which was in the Lake District and one gym session. Must say I felt guilty but in hindsight the rest did me good and prepared me well for the tough hill climbing in the Lake District.

While the distance was not covered in the Lake district with only 11 miles being walked on the longest day. Weight carried was between 30lb and 35lb on most days with 40lbs being carried on the last but one day without any adverse affects.

The main concern was the lack of distance covered, however rates of ascent were far in excess of all days I am likely to encounter on the Pennine Way. Maximum ascent was 1297m on the last day climbing Helvellyn and surrounding peaks in just under 10 miles. This is nearly 130m per mile compared to 1595m in 14 miles on day 14 over Cross Fell - 114m per mile on the day with the largest ascent. All other days come in at about 50m per mile so I am hoping/expecting to be prepared.

What I did find out was that I can carry a heavy weight for 5 consecutive days without any adverse affect, this can be extended to 6 days on the basis I could have walked on this day if I had not been travelling home.

Short of doing the walk to see if I am fit enough I feel I have done enough and am prepared enough to take on the challenge.

Only time will tell.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. You can't make mountains out of mole hills!!

    Seriously 'though, this is a very interesting read. Looking forwards to the updates as the challenge begins and if anyone can do this, YOU can.

    ReplyDelete