Saturday 25 September 2010

DAY02 Saturday 25 September 2010

Saturday 25 September 2010
Day 02Start - Crowden - OS Grid Ref:- SK 07150 99340 - Height:- 210.61m
Day 02Route - Crowden->Standedge

Days Walk:- 11.88 Miles
Days Ascent:- 803.57m
Start Time:- 10:15, Finish Time:- 18:40
Walking Time:- 8hrs 25mins
Average Speed:- 1.53mph
Places of Interest:-
Not a lot that I know of
All moors today
Peaks visited:-Black Hill


PHOTOS (DAY 02)
 Click here to view a slideshow of photos taken on DAY02 Saturday 25 September 2010

DAYS JOURNAL (DAY 02)
Oakenclough Brooke

Following a good night’s sleep I woke refreshed just before 7:00am. I was expecting to be really stiff after yesterday’s exertions but so far everything seems to be a new experience following a steep learning curve. I trained to carry 45lbs for 20 miles, so that I was confident in what I was capable of, the extra 15lbs has only added doubt in my mind of what I can expect to achieve each day. Although I woke early it was still 09:45 before I set off. What took the time was first getting out of my warm sleeping bag for a start, cooking breakfast of double porridge for carbs and a lump of cheese for protein. Then repacking my backpack, there did seem less but the extra tin of custard had to be found a home and I still had to put some things into a temporary gym bag which was then strapped onto the main pack.
I says “cheerio” to the campsite owner who himself had walked the Pennine Way earlier in the year and set off again with some trepidation. I still did not know how my body would stand up to the extra weight and was concerned it had taken me over 8 hours to walk 12 miles.
The walk back to the Pennine Way was uphill, the downhill which I was grateful for last night, got the old heart pumping early on and before you knew it I was climbing the stile into open access land with Crowden Brook below me to the right and the climb up Black Chew Head ahead of me.
There was a steady climb to the first ford followed by a fairly boggy patch. After wading through a fairly boggy patch I pass a sign warning walkers from the other direction of bogs, obviously they are not a problem in the direction I was going!
There then followed a couple of steeper climbs up rocks where two groups of walkers passed me, both where on a day trip to Black Hill and both passed me with ease, but they only had day packs on. One was a young family and the guy asked me if he could assume I was walking the Pennine Way judging by the size of my backpack. I answered “yes” and he grabbed my hand shaking it vigorously and congratulating me. I thought this was a bit premature and told him so but he said “At least you are giving it a go.” True I thought but at this stage although I had no intention of not completing it, I was still not sure I could.
The climb continued and the pace seemed really slow. In fact it took me nearly 2 hours to cover the first 2 miles to Laddow Rocks. From here the rate of descent decreased considerably but the walk was a little precarious for a short time along a thin rocky path with a drop to Crowden Great Brook to the right. This was only for a short period but the path continued to undulate as feeder streams from Black Chew Head on the left cut down to Crowden Great Brook. This 1½miles took a further 1½ hrs to walk to where I stopped for lunch contemplating my 1mph pace. 3½miles in nearly 3¼ hours
The path became less clear as it crossed Crowden Great Brook 2 or 3 times and just before the ascent to Black Hill became very boggy. As the ascent to Black Hill began marked by a wire fence not shown on the 1:25000 map and a stile, flagstones had been thoughtfully placed to make the 100m ascent of over ¾mile much easier. Half way up the 3 guys from yesterday passed me. They too were walking to Standege but had decided to cancel the 3rd day tomorrow and go home for Sunday lunch with their wives. It turns out they all worked in the same office but had not done any training in preparation and were finding it far tougher than they had anticipated. I met them again at Black Hill cairn where they were unpacking their sandwiches. It was quite windy so I carried on and as expected the wind dropped as I descended across Wessenden Head Moor. Although boggy again flagstones had been laid in the worst places and I was making good progress, Dean Clough came up quite quickly with a steep descent to the ford and a similarly deep ascent up the other side.
I could now see traffic along the A635 and what looked like a white sandwich trailer. Great looks like I will get my hot tea and bacon sandwich. Before then another stream appears which has to be crossed. This is actually deeper and fuller than Dean Clough and is called Reap Hill Clough. Half way up the other side I had to sit down and rest and once again the 3 office workers passed me. Still complaining about how tough it was, they all agreed with me “... a bad day walking is still better than a good day in the office.” As I reached the top I saw the white trailer being towed away – bang goes the bacon sarnie – I didn’t really want one anyway.
Crossing the A635 the map showed the Pennine Way crossing straight over. I saw the 3 guys walking along the road to the right and saw they were following the road round to Wessenden Head Road. This picks up the Kirklees Way and then joins the Pennine Way at the north end of the Wessenden Head reservoir dam. Purist that I am I went straight over following the wall to the north. I found a rickety stile and a hint of a path across moorland which disappeared. I could see where I wanted to be but could also see a deep gully so I head to the east and find another rickety stile climb this, then head for the bridge on the track to Wessenden Head. I guess this part is not walked very often. The old stile looked like it had not been used in years and certainly would have complained if it could at my weight and 60 extra pounds.
Although this was shorter in distance I did not manage to get in front of the 3 guys and thought I had seen the last of them. The path above and along the reservoirs was good and made for pleasant walking towards Wessenden Lodge. It took about an hour to reach Wessenden Lodge where the trio were resting and deciding whether to cross the dam towards the Bridge Abutments or take the alternative route along the Kirklees Way towards Blakely Reservoir. We all agreed the latter was the best option and they set off first, with one of the guys complaining how much he ached and that he could not bend over. I thought of some wise crack, but his friend saved me the trouble asking him “Why would he want to bend over anyway.” We all separated on a laugh and that was the last time I saw them. It then occurred to me that I was just over 3 miles from finishing.
It also occurred to me that once again the 3 had spurred me on and got me this far without thinking how tough this Pennine Way thing was actually turning out to be. We never did exchange names but this was the first of several meetings with different people I would have along the walk and I promised myself to not walk with strangers on future occasions.
I set off knowing I would reach my target of Standedge today. There was one more steep descent and climb up the other side to Blakely Clough & Black Moss but after that it was basically contouring round Butterly Hill and following flagstones and muddy trail past Swellands Reservoir to the north and onto Black Moss Reservoir. At the dam the direction sign pointed to the right over Rocher Moss top and it was then you could see the A62 and the 2 prospective overnight spots of the Great Western Inn and the The Carriage Inn under 2 miles away.

The Great Western Inn, Standedge
By now I was starting to feel tired again and was less than pleased when the track seemed to be heading away from both resting places. Eventually it reached the A62 crossing point where I then had to track East along the top of the embankment, I checked out the Great Western and although it did not have camping facilities as such, it did have a welcome as warm as its fire, so I pitched my tent in the beer garden after changing into dry shirt and top and went into the bar for a nice hot pot of tea.
I had intended to get warm, change the rest of my clothes then go back to the tent and cook myself a meal, including using up that custard that I was now carrying everywhere. However the fire was so warm and the food being served looked so good I ordered a pint of Thatcher’s Cider and sat down with the menu. Even though it was Saturday night I ordered the Sunday Roast and whilst waiting I got talking to a nice local couple who happened to be Leeds United fans, the wife was very interested in my walk and as they left kindly donated £5.00 to my charity fund. I do not know their names but thank you very much.
Shortly after, my Sunday roast arrived, which turned out to be two thick slices of succulent roast beef, a plate full of vegetables and a separate bowl of roast potatoes. All of which was consumed with another pint of cider.
One thing about walking all day is that you build up a good appetite and then when you have eaten you are ready for bed. And so it was tonight even though it was still only 8:30. Oh well, I wanted an early start tomorrow anyway. The plan was to walk 17 miles to Badgers Farm near Hebden Bridge, but again today I had only managed 12 miles. I am hoping the terrain will be less challenging and my pace will improve over flatter ground.
Fundraising for the Royal British Legion

MAP DAY 02

ROUTE CARD DAY 02
LOCATIONHEIGHTDISTASCTEST TIME
Crowden CampsiteSK 07150 99340210.61 m
Crowden Campsite->Crowden Campsite0.00 Mi0 m00:00:00
Crowden CampsiteSK 07150 99340210.61 m
Crowden Campsite->Jcn for Crowden Campsite0.37 Mi38.2 m00:14:01
Jcn for Crowden CampsiteSK 06846 99062241.20 m
Jcn for Crowden Campsite->Crowden Brook0.93 Mi59.7 m00:33:01
Crowden BrookSE 06266 00382285.74 m
Crowden Brook->Oakenclough Brook0.43 Mi113 m00:24:00
Oakenclough BrookSE 05852 00902393.62 m
Oakenclough Brook->Path to Chew Reservoir0.30 Mi101.5 m00:19:00
Path to Chew ReservoirSE 05634 01333494.85 m
Path to Chew Reservoir->Meadowgrain Clough1.72 Mi78.1 m00:59:00
Meadowgrain CloughSE 06601 03768479.86 m
Meadowgrain Clough->Kirklees (HAC), Black Hill0.97 Mi100.3 m00:39:00
Kirklees (HAC), Black HillSE 07816 04687579.68 m
Kirklees (HAC), Black Hill->Dean Clough1.33 Mi1 m00:39:01
Dean CloughSE 07871 06599391.46 m
Dean Clough->Wessenden Head0.44 Mi60.9 m00:19:00
Wessenden HeadSE 07537 07180449.64 m
Wessenden Head->Wessenden Reservoir1.70 Mi24.5 m00:53:00
Wessenden ReservoirSE 05797 08790309.16 m
Wessenden Reservoir->Sluice Gates0.71 Mi74.1 m00:28:01
Sluice GatesSE 05005 08843322.03 m
Sluice Gates->Black Moss Reservoir1.17 Mi97.3 m00:44:01
Black Moss ReservoirSE 03396 08913406.00 m
Black Moss Reservoir->Standedge (A62)1.25 Mi41.2 m00:41:01
Standedge (A62)SE 01851 09478382.80 m
Standedge (A62)->Great Western Pub0.48 Mi13.8 m00:15:01
Great Western PubSE 02434 09927363.73 m
Total trip11.81 Mi803.6 m
07:14:01

No comments:

Post a Comment